History
       From 1864 till 1948, The National School of Bridges and Roads and then the Civil Engineering Department of the Polytechnic School trained 2,137 engineers, under the guidance of renowned teachers such as: Spiru Haret, Anghel Saligny, Elie Radu, Gheorghe Titeica, David Emanuel Andrei Ioachimescu, Gheorghe Filipescu, Ion Ionescu, whose endeavors and achievements have laid the foundation of the Romanian science and technology in civil engineering.
       From 1948 to 2008, over 37,000 engineers graduated from the Technical University of Civil Engineering of Bucharest. During this interval, the university teaching staff  included outstanding personalities in the field of  science and engineering; among them: the academicians Aurel Beles, Cristea Mateescu, Dumitru Dumitrescu, Stefan Balan, Michael Hangan, Victor Smith, Alexander Steopoe, Priscu Radu, Emil Botea, Alexander Gheorghiu, Andrei Caracostea, Panaite Mazilu, Ion Stanculescu and others who have all carried on their predecessors' tradition.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Higher education in civil engineering in Romania was founded in 1864, in Bucharest by setting up a "School of Bridges and Roads, Mines and Architecture" which, in 1867 became the "School of Bridges, Roads and Mines" and "the National School for Bridges and Roads" in 1888. In 1921, the "National School of Bridges and Roads" became the "Polytechnic School of Bucharest", where the engineers' training was carried out in the Engineering Department which, in 1938, came to be known as the Faculty of Civil Engineering. 
In 1948, following an Education Reform, the Faculty of Civil Engineering  was  separated from the Polytechnic School (which became the Polytechnic Institute) and became  an independent higher education institution, called the Civil Engineering Institute of Bucharest. Starting with the academic year 1994-1995, the Civil Engineering Institute of Bucharest became The Technical University of Civil Engineering of Bucharest.


Prof. Acad. mathematician, sociologist, teacher Spiru Haret
(1851-1920)
reorganized and  modernized all levels of education

Prof. Acad. engineer Anghel Saligny (1854-1925)
for the first time in the world's history used reinforced concrete in the building of silos (1884). He designed (1888) and coordinated the construction of the Cernavoda bridge over the Danube (1890-1895) the longest bridge in Europe at that time. He also undertook extensive development works in the port of Constanta.
Eng. Elie Radu (1853-1931),

author of the construction project of the Grozavesti  hydroelectric power station.
Prof. Acad. mathematician George Titeica (1873-1939)
is the initiator of certain chapters of the affine projective differential geometry ("The Projective Differential Geometry of Networks", "Introduction to the Projective Differential Geometry of Curves"). He discovered new classes of curved surfaces and networks that bear his name. In the last years of his life, he studied the geometry of curves and of line transformations. His numerous works on elementary mathematics have contributed to the development of mathematical education in Romania.
The University
Copyright 2010 UTCB

Prezentarea universitatii
 
 
 
Lacul Tei bvd,  no. 122-124
Code 020396, Sector 2
Bucharest
Tel.: 40 21 242.12.08
Fax: +40 21 242.07.81
Email: secretariat@utcb.ro
History
TUCEB Leadership
Faculties
Departments
Chairs
Infrastructure
Annual report on evaluation and quality assurance in the TUCEB
Report
Home
University presentation
Student Guide
Internal Regulations
Alumni
 
Scientific Journals  Intranet  E-mail  Public Information   Useful links   Site map
TUCEB Prospectus
 
Operational Plan Strategic Objectives